Thursday, June 09, 2011

The DC Relaunch and Reasonable Readers of all Types

I wrote this week's piece for Tor.com mostly because Ron Marz and a random fan were debating how much to freak out about DC's relaunch. The fan (or fans -- maybe it was more than one) seemed to think everything in the past would cease to exist, and all his DC comics would be meaningless now. Marz didn't agree. At all.

Of course, now we know that Marz is part of the DC relaunch (which I'm happy about, because he's a good guy and a hard-working writer), but I don't think that's really all that significant in the debate. What's important is...the two fundamentally different way people read comics. And that's what I wrote about.

Go, read: "What Does it Matter? Stories and Comic Book Readers" at Tor.com.

1 comment:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

I think I'm Reader #2. I'm an older fan, and I am coming to the realization that DC is more interested in attracting the New Reader. I have no problem with that. I've been collecting comics for a very long time. As an older fan, though, my disposable income is slightly less than what a New Reader's might be. I might try one or two of these 52 new #1's. The New Reader will probably try more than that.

I tried Starman and Primal Force after Zero Hour. I stuck with both until they ended. One at around a year or so, the other lasted 80 consecutive issues, plus annuals.

Some of these new #1's look good. Some look just okay; some make me wonder what DC is thinking; some didn't look good the last time DC tried them.

My definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over, again and again - but expect different results. That's insanity. I think DC is trying to get different results. The only way to do that is to change what you're doing to get the different results.

But, that's just me...