Monday, March 02, 2009

Unknown Soldier #5 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Unknown Soldier #5, about which I write the following sentences: "But Dysart smartly avoids such preachiness by focusing on the details of Moses's situation. It's the story of one man's struggle to do what's right, even when forces beyond his control have literally destroyed his face and taken away who he once was. By keeping the story whirling around the Unknown Soldier -- a label that has only metaphorical meaning here, since we all know who is behind these particular bandages -- Dysart makes the comic about characters in action, and not about the social problems themselves. The themes are readily apparent -- and War Is Hell, for sure -- but they resonate more deeply because they are connected to a compelling narrative. This is a violent, messy Vertigo crime comic set in a war-torn landscape. The crimes are political ones, with personal repercussions, but it's far closer to the crime genre than the stereotypical 'war comic' genre you might expect from its title. "

Read the entire review HERE.

2 comments:

Gary said...

I have been loving this series. I hope it gets the attention and sales that it deserves.

Kris Krause said...

I too think this is an awesome book. The concept itself, while interesting, didn't grab me initially, but hearing Dysart speak about the then upcoming book at New York Comic Con '08 made me really intrigued because though he was an author I had never heard of before, he seemed to have put a lot of effort and thought into the book. I haven't been able to get to my comic shop in a week or two, but after I go tomorrow this will be one of my first reads.