Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Joker's Asylum: The Joker #1 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Joker's Asylum: The Joker #1, about which I write the following sentences: "This comic is ugly, no question about it. It's not ugly in the grotesque way a Garth Ennis comic can be ugly. It's not 'Preacher' or 'The Boys' with death and sodomy and blood and guts. It's 1970s Hollywood movie ugly, when everyone was a little less attractive, less polished, and the themes were right there on the surface. I happen to like 1970s movie ugly, but writer Arvid Nelson and artist Alex Sanchez don't quite pull it off well enough for me to recommend it. I appreciate what they do in 'Joker's Asylum: The Joker' #1, and I'm glad they didn't give us another bland, generic Batman story, but this comic is ultimately a near miss -- a clever idea that's too simple and, yes, too ugly, to succeed."

Read the entire review HERE.

No comments: