Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Astonishing X-Men #25 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Astonishing X-Men #25, about which I write the following sentences: "'Astonishing X-Men' #25 is a great superhero comic, and it's the best X-Men comic in ages, precisely because it feels like something new. It feels like a fresh take on the characters, and it doesn't really bear any similarity to the first twenty-five issues of this series. The cast is a bit different, the characters behave a bit differently, and they are interested in different things. This isn't another ode to Chris Claremont. This is Warren Ellis's X-Men, and it's Simone Bianchi's X-Men, and it's quite a joy to read."

This comic comes out today, and I suspect it might be the best book of the week.

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

James said...

I'm kind of excited for this (where previously I wasn't sure I'd even get it), but while obviously a Ellis comic should be very different to a Whedon comic, I hope he doesn't abandon the characterisations etc. completely.

As for Bianchi, Shining Knight and the Astonishing X-Men Sketchbook are the best things I've seen him do. His more recent (finished) work looks a little over-rendered to me, sacrificing some spontaneity and highlighting his weaknesses. On that cover, for instance, Cyclops' geometrically-improbable visor appears to be giving him as much of a headache as it does me...